NC Motorcycle Insurance
Custom Parts and Equipment (CPE) Coverage
If you purchase comprehensive and/or collision coverage for your bike, in most states there is typically some coverage for CPE. The limits for this coverage vary by state and by company. You usually can purchase additional CPE coverage to cover your motorcycle equipment. Again, the limits offered for additional CPE will vary from company to company but typically range between $15,000 and $30,000.
CPE covers special equipment, devices, accessories, and modifications you add to your bike that weren’t originally installed by the manufacturer. These can include:
- Electronic equipment that is permanently installed on your bike
- Sidecars (when attached to the bike)
- Trailers designed to be pulled behind a motorcycle (when attached to the bike)
- Trike conversion kits
- Custom paint, custom plating or custom exhaust
- Safety riding apparel, including helmets (The coverage limit for safety apparel is often limited and typically will not apply to theft.)
Motorcycle Replacement Coverage
It’s an optional coverage that is offered by some car insurance companies. In the case that you total your bike in a covered accident, this coverage will enable you to replace it with a new one of the same kind and quality.
How do I find motorcycle coverage?
Luckily, most car insurance companies offer motorcycle insurance and can give you a free quote. It’s important to shop around and get the best price for the auto coverage that fits your needs.